By The Sea by Michael Faudet
So it was requested that I do a fic rec thingy every now and then because I read pretty much all the Hartbig fic posted and am a general consumer of all things literary in nature and kind of a picky shit about stuff I like, so the plan is for me to post this every Tuesday. Maybe. Who knows!
Disclaimer: The main ship I read is Hartbig but I also read Swace and Mace and other ships depending on the author. If you have something you think I should be reading, feel free to send it to me and I will 100% check it out! (Oh, and I <3 Grester but I don’t read the fanfic unless Jay springs it on me during a ficathon or something!) These are in random order.
1. Of Virtue and Vice Ch 2 by iloveyouinchinese (Hartbig): Ok, I am already obsessed with this series. The premise is that Grace is in an unhappy marriage to a guy named Rob. Rob is perfectly nice but something has been missing for Grace for quite sometime and she can’t quite put her finger on why she’s frustrated in what should be a great relationship. On a random Thursday, she just so happens to run into a very intriguing and short blonde woman (aka Hannah) at a wine store. Hannh stirs up feelings Grace can’t quite pinpoint yet but by Ch 2, she’s had Hannah over for wine and they have made tentative plans for the following week and Hannah can read her like a book so Grace is struggling with the whole thing. This one is going to be amazing to watch unfold and El is just the gal to do it right!
Great lines: “The sound of a door shutting sounds so inescapably mournful, sometimes. I don’t have the emotional maturity to deal with that sound just yet, so I strip down to a t-shirt and curl up in bed, even though it’s 9:30 and there are unwashed wine glasses in the living room. That feels like the only sacrifice I’m willing to make right now.”
2. The Saltwater Siren by onemilliongoldstars (Hartbig): I know, I know, a mermaid AU. So random! But let me just once again tell you that Ray can drop me in the middle of any freaking universe she wants to and make it work. In this one, Hannah comes to the edge of the sea to draw a mermaid she sees there. Day after day she draws and admires and then finally, she’s spotted by said mermaid and they might even fall a bit in love. I don’t want to ruin it for you, but just go enjoy a little mythological escape, Hartbig style.
Great lines: ”"Breakable?" Hannah breathes, eyes widening just slightly in alarm. She can smell Grace, very suddenly, and she smells of salt and sea and something irrevocably sweet that Hannah can’t quite identify."
3. Under My Skin by bottled oxygen (Swace): Grace “needs” a manager. Swike is a manager. They both have hot legs. There is a lot of looking. And flirting. And tension. Have I mentioned they both have hot legs?
Great lines: ”Men are great at moving heavy furniture and playing musical instruments, but Sarah is capable and Sarah is pretty. She sits around like eye-candy, only she’s eye-candy with purpose and a no-nonsense air about her.”
4. Weird Thoughts part 8 by yotoobfiction (Mace) It’s the NSFW chapter we’ve all been waiting for. Oh hush, don’t look at me like that. You know you have been too, you pervs. Cat managed the whole sweet and salty mix in fic form (aka HOT AS HELL but also intimate and lovely) and Mamrie shed a freaking tear (ok maybe I did too) and for the love of g-d there was leg humping and it was fantastic. Also I maybe have a thing with the nickname “baby” and when it’s dropped in a fic, it KILLS ME. But that’s just me, you, random reader of this review, can make up your own mind but I think you’ll be delighted to follow the fake behind-the-scenes version of #HeyUSA because it is hot and it cuddles you too. It’s magical.
Great lines: ”Grace had laughed, because this is Mamrie, and that is what Grace does when Mamrie Mamries. But then Mamrie had run her fingers through Grace’s hair, trying to loosen it and let it fall, and that was when Grace had kissed her again, hard enough so that they had both fallen back onto the bed. And that isn’t necessarily what Grace does when Mamrie Mamries, but times be changing.”
5. Fate by heckaharto (Hartbig) It’s 5 chapters in and I am so hooked on this fic. Grace and Hannah meet at a bar and there’s that immediate strike of lightning that so rarely happens between two people. Hannah is used to shutting people out and yet, this mysterious woman somehow feels so familiar to her and… there is a flirty game of truth or dare, twerking, lap lying, and palm kissing, and hair stroking all by chapter 3 and I just, this thing gives me the feels for sure! There is also a twist this latest chapter and I have no idea what the heck (ha, get it? heckaharto!?) is going on but I am dying to find out. I hope the updates get less sporadic because I’m dying for the next chapter!
Great lines: ”It’s all too easy to want to blame the alcohol for everything she’s thinking, but Hannah is aware that she is beyond the point of such accusations. Not even a slurred stupor can keep what she’s feeling hidden away in a toxic haze. She hates the gooey mush that she feels herself turning into, but a stupid voice in her head is telling her that maybe she can learn to love it. The city lights are passing over them in phases, like the constant shutter of a camera, from the window.”
Still loving Moving In (Hartbig) by someonetorootfor and currently Grace has finally acknowledge her feelings for Hannah out loud a bit and I’m stoked to see what happens next. One can never forget What We Were (Hartbig/Swarto) by ficfacfoe was particularly angsty this week and it bruised my soul a bit, but in a good way. And carrotskoalasandbooze just started a series called The Ones Before You and in the prologue, Grace asks Hannah how many women she loved before her - Hannah says five, who, what, when, where and why. It looks to be a multi-ship describing the past and these relationships and it’s a different approach I haven’t seen done before and I’m excited to see it gear up!
And that’s all I have for now! Reading or writing something great? Send my way! I got two great recs last week that I’m still currently reading!
okay. I think we started talking when someone asked if I was gay and I posted a photo of me fondling my wild strawberry plant and then Jenna called me a strawberry plant molester. And we talked about moonlight in my fic. We both love moonlight and things. There you go. :)
I totally got in it for the moonlight and the possibility of strawberry molesting! Though, your retelling of our meeting lacks the loveliness of my initial fic review of Crashes “Hannah and Grace get together one night in the moonlight, and things happen. THINGS!”
I am nice! If you would like to talk to me about moonlight, feel free! I also enjoy quiet forest rain and sunrises that reflect in windows on buildings that erupt into a million tiny splendid dawns. Alice and I will always have strawberry molesting though, so back off!
Also I talk to maybe 10 people on Tumblr so please continue to overestimate my popularity, it is SPLENDID for my ego!
She just… knows them? I don’t know. Never thought about it. I can ask her, hold on a sec.
OMG WHAT ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT!? This is the weirdest thing ever! *hides*
Mace. All lies. NSFW. Previous parts can be found on my fic page. Thank you for reading!
Grace has fucked friends before.
It’s the sort of thing that has happened a few times, because otherwise it would have to be an almost stranger that she invites into her bed, and that is not something that she is ever going to be completely comfortable with.
But this is Mamrie.
Sometimes I forget it’s call NSFW for a reason. (IS AT WORK).
Girl loves her star wipes!
Fun surprise = Grace Helbig reaction gif randomly popping up in an article entitled The Stubble Is Real: 6 Reasons Why A Woman’s Worst Enemy Is Her Razor on Elite Daily!